newsGNU FreeDink - News: Some fonts improvements

Latest News
New Maintainer posted by kjharcombe, Wed 01 Jun 2022 12:32:32 PM UTC
GNU FreeDink 109.6 posted by Beuc, Sun 17 Feb 2019 12:48:16 AM UTC
New FreeDink game data release posted by Beuc, Sun 20 Jan 2019 05:18:16 PM UTC
New FreeDink DFArc frontend 3.14 release posted by Beuc, Wed 06 Jun 2018 07:03:46 PM UTC
New FreeDink game data release posted by Beuc, Sun 02 Apr 2017 08:34:27 AM UTC

Some fonts improvements

Item posted by Sylvain Beucler <Beuc> on Fri 02 Nov 2007 07:45:22 PM UTC.

I added a way to load the default font from the executable itself, using a technique similar to SFX (self-extracting archives). This uses zziplib.

I also simulated the way GDI bypasses DX palette changes: now texts will become white at the end of a fade_down() (e.g. end credits in "The Three Barrels" one-screen dmod entry) and will keep a consistent color even when an altenate palette is used (e.g. text is yellow instead of blue in "Lyna's Story").

Now I wonder if I'll be able to use anything else than SDL in the future, seeing how tricky it was to implement all the original game idiosyncrasies.

Font size is still not the same than the original game. Besides, depending on whether patented features were activated or not in FreeType (used to render text from .ttf fonts), the text width varies. This needs further investigation.

Another related bug to fix is text placement in dialog options. Often, the title of a dialog choice is written being the text choices themselves, which naturally makes it difficult to read.

But don't worry, we've already fixed weirder bugs than that ;)

Back to the top