newsGNU FreeDink - News: Dink can be under GNU/Linux

Latest News
New website design posted by Beuc, Sat 16 Jun 2012 09:27:04 AM UTC - 0 replies
New releases posted by Beuc, Sat 16 Jun 2012 09:03:16 AM UTC - 0 replies
New FreeDink sound replacements! posted by Beuc, Sun 16 Oct 2011 08:26:41 PM UTC - 0 replies
New freedink releases posted by Beuc, Sun 14 Nov 2010 11:26:45 AM UTC - 0 replies
GPL Apps and Apple AppStore posted by Beuc, Mon 01 Nov 2010 09:10:41 AM UTC - 2 replies
[Submit News]
[40 news in archive]

Dink can be played under GNU/Linux!

Item posted by Sylvain Beucler <Beuc> on Sun 19 Aug 2007 09:02:36 PM UTC.

After redoing the port from scratch, GNU FreeDink now runs under GNU/Linux without bugs, just with a few limitations (no sound frequency change so some effects sound strange, improvable font support, and incompatible keycodes). I played the original game up to Kernsin and through Mystery Island without any trouble. The editor also works; since there is currently no portable keycodes in SDL, I suggest you switch to QWERTY/US layout before running it (setxkbmap us), otherwise most keys won't work.

I'm gonna try to fix the remaining limitations (possibly using other game libraries) and clean-up the code more now.

Comments:

Woo! (posted by Alexander Krivács Schrøder, Sun 02 Sep 2007 05:13:00 AM UTC)

It's wonderful to read that you're still working on this project, Sylvain! I'm really looking forward to trying this out. (Downloading the CVS repository as we speak.) I've been able to play Dink with severe limitations through the Wine project earlier, but if this version works, then maybe I can start developing DMODs again. (I've given up on Windows long ago. :-P)

Thanks again, can't wait to try this.

Back to the top