bugGNU TeXmacs - Bugs: bug #36233, incorrect output from a for loop...

 
 

You are not allowed to post comments on this tracker with your current authentification level.

bug #36233: incorrect output from a for loop in maxima session

Submitted by:  Kamaraju Kusumanchi <kamaraju>
Submitted on:  Wed Apr 18 01:33:45 2012  
 
Category: PluginsPriority: 3 - Low
Item Group: ErrorStatus: In Progress
Privacy: PublicAssigned to: Andrey Grozin <grozin>
Originator Name: Open/Closed: Open
Release: 1.0.7.15Release: None
Fixed Release: NoneFixed Release: 
Keywords: 

(Jump to the original submission Jump to the original submission)

Mon Nov 25 14:27:02 2013, comment #6:

I cannot reproduce this bug.
However, printing 1000 numbers is extremely slow...

Joris van der Hoeven <vdhoeven>
Project Administrator
Thu Nov 15 15:30:25 2012, comment #5:

> And it also seems that this behaviour is relatively new.


I tested the bug, and I reproduced it on older versions of TeXmacs (one year ago).

So, it may be not so new.

Francois Poulain <fpoulain>
Project Member
Sat Oct 13 05:43:32 2012, comment #4:

Another example of the same bug: at the maxima prompt in TeXmacs, say

1;2;

The bytes sent by maxima to TeXmacs are (I use p_out from the pnambic plugin)

[02]latex:$\displaystyle \mbox{\tt\red(\mathrm{\%o1}) \black}1$[05][0a]
[02]latex:$\displaystyle \mbox{\tt\red(\mathrm{\%o2}) \black}2$[05][0a]
[02]channel:prompt[05]
[02]latex:\red (\mathrm{\%i}3) \black[05][05]

However, in the TeXmacs window I only see

(%o1) 1

The line (%o2) 2 is completely missing. What's even more strange, the next prompt is (%i1), in spite of the fact that maxima has sent the code instructing TeXmacs to write (%i3) !
It seems that when output pieces are sent to TeXmacs too quickly, it handles the first of them (or first few of them), and just ignors the rest. And it also seems that this behaviour is relatively new.

Andrey Grozin <grozin>
Project MemberIn charge of this item.
Fri Sep 21 11:46:34 2012, comment #3:

This is a bug in TeXmacs. maxima produces the correct output and sends it to stdout (very quickly). TeXmacs receives it via a pipe; it seems that when it cannot handle input via this pipe, it simply throes it away.
I modified tm_maxima to say
exec maxima ... | tee /path/to/out
where out is a fifo, and said
cat out | p_out
where p_out is from the pnambic plugin. Then I started maxima-5.28.0 (sbcl) from TeXmacs-1.0.7.16, and defined
f(n):=for i:1 thru n do display(i);
f(10) produces the expected result. f(100) produces the expected result in the window which traces the fifo out, this proves that all the right bytes are sent to TeXmacs via the pipe. However, TeXmacs displays only the beginning of the output. The length varies (and seems to depend on the current load level of the computer). Sometimes, lines up to i=52 are displayed; sometimes, up to i=11; etc. Never up to the end, i=100.
Sorry, I cannot fix this. Somebody who knows TeXmacs internals is needed here.

Andrey Grozin <grozin>
Project MemberIn charge of this item.
Sun Sep 9 18:53:12 2012, comment #2:

Sorry, my fault. The "Need info" was meant for Andrey Grozin, the maintainer of the plugin, asking for his input on the matter. But I guess it's supposed to mean that the submitter has to provide more info. I'm setting it back to none. Cannot confirm myself though.

Miguel de Benito <mdbenito>
Project Member
Sun Sep 9 16:27:10 2012, comment #1:

Why is the status set to "Need Info"? What more information do you need?

raju

Kamaraju Kusumanchi <kamaraju>
Wed Apr 18 01:33:45 2012, original submission:

Using texmacs 1.0.7.15, maxima 5.27.0, GCL 2.6.7 on a Debian Wheezy, kernel 3.0.0-1-686-pae, 32 bit machine

To reproduce the bug
1) start texmacs
2) Insert -> Session -> Maxima

Inside the maxima session, enter

for i : 0 thru 1000 do display( i );

The output is displayed only for a few values of i. The exact number of displayed values varies from run to run (suggesting that this is a memory related issue) but never 1000.

A native maxima session (without using texmacs), displays the values of i all the way up to 1000.

This bug is originally reported at http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=434768 by Miguel Aguado.

thanks
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Kamaraju Kusumanchi <kamaraju>

 

No files currently attached

 

Depends on the following items: None found

Items that depend on this one: None found

 

Carbon-Copy List
  • -unavailable- added by vdhoeven (Posted a comment)
  • -unavailable- added by agraef
  • -unavailable- added by grozin (Posted a comment)
  • -unavailable- added by mdbenito (Updated the item)
  • -unavailable- added by kamaraju (Submitted the item)
  •  

    Do you think this task is very important?
    If so, you can click here to add your encouragement to it.
    This task has 0 encouragements so far.

    Only logged-in users can vote.

     

    Please enter the title of George Orwell's famous dystopian book (it's a date):

     

     

    Follow 10 latest changes.

    Date Changed By Updated Field Previous Value => Replaced By
    Wed Nov 27 22:03:58 2013vdhoevenStatusNone=>In Progress
    Mon Nov 25 14:27:02 2013vdhoevenPriority7 - High=>3 - Low
      Assigned tovdhoeven=>grozin
    Sat Oct 27 10:49:04 2012agraefCarbon-Copy-=>Added agraef
    Fri Sep 21 20:49:38 2012mdbenitoAssigned togrozin=>vdhoeven
    Sun Sep 9 18:53:12 2012mdbenitoStatusNeed Info=>None
    Sun Sep 9 06:43:53 2012mdbenitoPriority5 - Normal=>7 - High
      Item GroupNone=>Error
      StatusNone=>Need Info
      Assigned toNone=>grozin

    Back to the top


    Powered by Savane 3.1-cleanup