bugmake - Bugs: bug #2884, Source file not found in vpath...

 
 

bug #2884: Source file not found in vpath when implicit rule triggered by target specified with an absolute path

Submitter:  Invalid User ID <#17211>
Submitted:  Thu 20 Mar 2003 02:34:29 PM UTC
   
 
Severity:  3 - Normal Item Group:  Bug
Status:  None Privacy:  Public
Assigned to:  None Open/Closed:  Open
Component Version:  3.80 Operating System:  POSIX-Based
Fixed Release:  None Triage Status:  None
* Mandatory Fields

Add a New Comment Rich Markup
   

  Spam posted by sevanath
Sun 04 Oct 2009 06:57:16 PM UTC, comment #3: 

This bug seems to be corrupted; it's not showing up in my lists anywhere.  Maybe because of the "Invalid User ID" stuff in the "Submitted By" field?  I do have some info about this so I'll try to re-attach the tar file.  Note that the tar file I have doesn't match, as far as I can tell, my comment #1 in any way... so I'm confused.

(file #18814)

Paul D. Smith <psmith>
Group administrator
Fri 18 Apr 2003 12:49:27 PM UTC, comment #2: 

Yes, that's right, the rules were not correct.
We have modified the makefile to update the rules and reflect more accurately our "real" makefiles (added bar.o in target "all" and corrected the .d file).
The problem still occurs.

OTOH, we found a workaround: when the .msg->.h rule is written with a "::", the problem disappears.

See gmake_bug_2884_20030418.tgz.

Thanks.

Invalid User ID <#17211>
Tue 25 Mar 2003 02:28:06 AM UTC, comment #1: 

Well, your makefile is not correct.  Your .d file says:

  ../foo.c: /.../foo.h

That's not right.  You don't want to rebuild foo.c if foo.h changes: foo.c is a source file.  You want to rebuild foo.o if foo.h changes; you want the .d file to contain:

  ../foo.o: /.../foo.h

instead.  If I change your rule for constructing the .d file to this:

  %.d: %.c foo.h
  echo $*.o ": " `pwd`/foo.h > $@

Then it seems to work correctly.

Paul D. Smith <psmith>
Group administrator
Thu 20 Mar 2003 02:34:29 PM UTC, original submission:  

Hi,

We are using GNU make here at HP to build many of our products on several platforms (Tru64 UNIX, HP-UX, Linux).

We have experienced a problem with make v3.77 and later (including the latest version, 3.80).
Version 3.76 works fine.
Attached is a test-case to reproduce the problem (the tgz contains a README).

What do you think? Is it a make bug, or is there a problem with the makefile?

Thanks,

--
Jerome Forissier
Thierry Gerbi
Mathieu Simon

HP/ESG/SGBU/OCBU/SPP (Telecom)
Sophia-Antipolis, France

Invalid User ID <#17211>

 

(Note: upload size limit is set to 16384 kB, after insertion of the required escape characters.)

Attach Files:
   
   
Comment:
   

Attached Files
file #18814:  gmake_bug_2884_20030418.tgz added by psmith (7KiB - application/x-compressed-tar)

 

Depends on the following items: None found

Items that depend on this one: None found

 

Carbon-Copy List
  • -email is unavailable- added by sevanath (Posted a comment)
  • -email is unavailable- added by psmith (Updated the item)
  •  

    There are 0 votes so far. Votes easily highlight which items people would like to see resolved in priority, independently of the priority of the item set by tracker managers.

    Only logged-in users can vote.

     

    Follows 1 latest change.

    Date Changed by Updated Field Previous Value => Replaced by
    2009-10-04 psmith Attached File- Added gmake_bug_2884_20030418.tgz, #18814

    Back to the top

    Powered by Savane 3.13-758e.
    Corresponding source code