patchGnash - The GNU Flash player - Patches: patch #6151, Make flash version in description...


You are not allowed to post comments on this tracker with your current authentication level.

patch #6151: Make flash version in description consistent

Submitted by:  Benjamin Wolsey <bwy>
Submitted on:  Thu 16 Aug 2007 07:05:50 AM UTC  
Category: pluginPriority: 7 - High
Status: DonePrivacy: Public
Assigned to: Sandro Santilli <strk>Open/Closed: Closed

(Jump to the original submission Jump to the original submission)

Thu 13 Nov 2008 10:08:26 PM UTC, comment #7:

I have seen this same error for many months when loading GNASH in I'm not sure how to see the debug messages. Is this related to a combination of using adblocker as well as GNASH?

Please comment... thanks!

Asher <asher>
Fri 17 Aug 2007 06:07:54 PM UTC, comment #6:

It seems the failure was in handling of a FlashParam, should be fixed now, apart from the getUrl opening the actual movie in a new firefox tab. I'd close this item, please open a new one for other problems.

Sandro Santilli <strk>
Project MemberIn charge of this item.
Fri 17 Aug 2007 02:48:52 PM UTC, comment #5:

That should be

Fri 17 Aug 2007 02:33:39 PM UTC, comment #4:

The first patch only fixes theoretical bugs (as I say, I've never seen a website that requires a specific version number), but you can verify that the SWFobject javascript returns a value for revision with the attached html file. (rev is NaN before the patch).

For the actionscript detector, the following work: (the swf is:

However, sites using it in practice still fail, not because the version is incorrectly detected (you can check it is now using -va), but rather because of what it's supposed to do afterwards and doesn't.

For instance: and

(log of the detector from the first site, with $version set to "UNIX 9,0,99,0", attached).

(file #13678, file #13679)

Benjamin Wolsey <bwy>
Project Member
Fri 17 Aug 2007 02:03:03 PM UTC, comment #3:

I tried using a 3 letter string for the name (in VM.cpp) and that fixed detection on

Applied both patches, adding some TODO lines as to how to better handle this.
Applied both in head and 0.8.1 branch.

Note that I didn't look at the KPARTS plugin at all.
Also note that the plugin doesn't use the GNASHRC file,
so the only viable option to dynamically change the version
exposed by the plugin is by using an environmental variable
(I didn't provide this capability, just an hint for a future patch).

Sandro Santilli <strk>
Project MemberIn charge of this item.
Fri 17 Aug 2007 01:46:06 PM UTC, comment #2:

Could you give a couple of URLS to try these detectors and verify your patch fixes them ?

Sandro Santilli <strk>
Project MemberIn charge of this item.
Fri 17 Aug 2007 12:41:18 PM UTC, comment #1:

Change $version in VM.cpp to allow ActionScript player detection. This fixes the second issue in the original submission and should fix half of bug #19964 (I've explained why it doesn't on the bug).

The Adobe player seems to give the string "UNIX|WIN|WINCE|MAC (major version),(minor version),(revision),0" (deducible from its actionscript detection pack). Determining one of the four OS strings from the build seems more trouble than it's worth, so I've opted for "Gnash" instead. That might cause problems, but at least in the adobe detection kit it's only used when requiring the latest player version.

That makes at least two completely separate strings for version detection, one in the ns plugin description and one as a built-in string (possibly a different one for IE activeX plugin), which are in different places and different forms.

Ideally, they should always agree; even better, they should be derivable from the same place, and perhaps the best way would be if they could all be set in .gnashrc.

(file #13676)

Benjamin Wolsey <bwy>
Project Member
Thu 16 Aug 2007 07:05:50 AM UTC, original submission:

Defines FLASH_VERSION in plugin/plugin.cpp so that the version description is consistent. It thereby adds a revision number to the beginning of the plugin description so it can be detected by SWFobject.

(It's possible for SWFobject to require a minimum revision number, although I have not found a website that makes use of this feature).

A related issue but not specific to the plugin (and not addressed by the patch):

doesn't detect a version.

Benjamin Wolsey <bwy>
Project Member


Attached Files
file #13678:  SWFobject.html added by bwy (395B - text/html)
file #13679:  fxnetworks_va.log added by bwy (51KiB - text/x-log)
file #13670:  plugin_description.patch added by bwy (2KiB - text/x-patch)


Depends on the following items: None found

Items that depend on this one: None found


Carbon-Copy List
  • -unavailable- added by asher (Posted a comment)
  • -unavailable- added by strk (Posted a comment)
  • -unavailable- added by bwy (Submitted the item)

    Do you think this task is very important?
    If so, you can click here to add your encouragement to it.
    This task has 0 encouragements so far.

    Only logged-in users can vote.


    Please enter the title of George Orwell's famous dystopian book (it's a date):



    Follow 10 latest changes.

    Date Changed By Updated Field Previous Value => Replaced By
    Fri 17 Aug 2007 06:07:54 PM UTCstrkStatusReady For Test=>Done
    Fri 17 Aug 2007 02:33:39 PM UTCbwyAttached File-=>Added SWFobject.html, #13678
      Attached File-=>Added fxnetworks_va.log, #13679
    Fri 17 Aug 2007 02:03:02 PM UTCstrkStatusIn Progress=>Ready For Test
    Fri 17 Aug 2007 01:46:06 PM UTCstrkPriority5 - Normal=>7 - High
      StatusNone=>In Progress
      Assigned toNone=>strk
    Fri 17 Aug 2007 12:41:18 PM UTCbwyAttached File-=>Added ActionScript_version_detection.patch, #13676
    Thu 16 Aug 2007 07:05:50 AM UTCbwyAttached File-=>Added plugin_description.patch, #13670

    Back to the top

    Powered by Savane 3.1-cleanup1