newsGNU Health - News: Reorganization and migration of Mercurial repositories

Latest News
GNU Health Hospital Management 4.4 released! posted by meanmicio, Sat 23 Dec 2023 11:28:57 PM UTC
Release of GNU Health HMIS 4.2.3 patchset posted by meanmicio, Sun 24 Sep 2023 04:20:59 PM UTC
GNUHealth Hospital Management 4.2.2 patchset released posted by meanmicio, Sun 17 Sep 2023 02:03:35 PM UTC
GNU Health Hospital Management patchset 4.2.1 released posted by meanmicio, Fri 07 Apr 2023 10:39:04 AM UTC
GNU Health Hospital Management 4.2 series released! posted by meanmicio, Sat 11 Feb 2023 11:55:55 PM UTC

Reorganization and migration of Mercurial repositories

Item posted by Luis Falcon <meanmicio> on Sat 28 Nov 2020 01:35:22 PM UTC.

Dear community

Since Richard Stallman adopted GNU Health in 2011, the development environment has been hosted at GNU Savannah, which generously provided a mercurial (hg) repository, that has been in use since then.

Many years have passed, and GNU Health is today a Libre digital health ecosystem made of different components.

In the last couple of years, GNU Health has been facing a tremendous growth, both in the community and in the development environment, yet, the hosting facilities at Savannah has remained pretty much the same.

One of the issues I have faced is not being able to have multiple mercurial repositories to match all the new components. To give you an idea, this is a list of the GNU Health ecosystem components from 2011 and 2020.

2011 components:

• HIS
  • HIS-client

2020 components:

• HIS
  • HIS-client
  • HIS-client plugins (camera, crypto, FRL)
  • PyWEBDAV server
  • MyGNUHealth
  • FHIR server
  • Thalamus
  • Federation Portal

As you can imagine, having a single mercurial repository to hold all these components, with their own development and release process, is not feasible. I've spent quite a bit of time trying and asking to find a solution to modernize GNU Savannah, but this change has not happen. As a result, I have taken the decision to move part of the development environment from Savannah to OSDN.

There are many reasons behind why I've chosen OSDN among other platforms. Some of them:

• Freedom to create and manage our mercurial repositories and packages
  • Support of Mercurial
  • Only Libre Software projects allowed
  • Anybody in the world can access. There is no ban on countries.
  • OSDN has mirrors in many regions / countries in the world.

Currently all the components (except the HIS server) have now their own mercurial repo at OSDN. The HIS repository will be migrated in the coming days, once we establish the connection from the Weblate translation server.

Of course, GNU Health will continue to be hosted at GNU.org, as well as the mailing lists and news. The official packages will be published at GNU.org. All these packages are also now hosted at OSDN.

Let me take this opportunity to thank both GNU and OSDN for their
generosity and support for the GNU Health and the Libre
Software community around the globe!

Happy and healthy hacking!

--
Dr. Luis Falcon, MD, MSc
President, GNU Solidario
GNU Health: Freedom and Equity in Healthcare
www.gnuhealth.org
Fingerprint: ACBF C80F C891 631C 68AA 8DC8 C015 E1AE 0098 9199

Back to the top