We're rewriting Savane!
Savane is the piece of software that runs Savannah: it interfaces users and system administration. Savane manages a list of members and services for each project, and provides a flexible bug/task/support tracker. It's also responsible for replicating project services (Git, Bazaar, mailing lists, webpages, etc.) to the system.
Basically we drop the current old PHP code, and replace it using better tools, namely
- Python: a much better programming language
- Django: a web framework with good documentation that is easy to learn (check their excellent tutorial)
- CSS: we want an improved web design :)
- The code is available at http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/savane.git
- Live demo at http://demo.savane-forge.org:8080/
- New homepage (in construction) at http://savane-forge.org/
- The project foundations are ready, we're currently implementing user interface screens
- The new backend (system), relying on direct database sync rather than delayed replication, is already in production on live Savannah.
- To try a full system, QEMU and VirtualBox? disk images are available at http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/savane/test-install/
- Or, try cd tests/minimal_configs/ && make install, as mentioned in the INSTALL file.
- Or, try checking out the new code and read the INSTALL file.
We're looking for help! If you are a:
- Python coder
- Web designer
We'd like you to join this effort to make Savannah the best Free forge :).
Contact: write to firstname.lastname@example.org or join #savannah on irc.oftc.net .