mainGnuTLS - Support: sr #108343, gnutls 3.2.2 breaks tls...


sr #108343: gnutls 3.2.2 breaks tls decryption: "Decryption has failed."

Submitter:  Afri Qhdoe <qdoe>
Submitted:  Wed 24 Jul 2013 07:56:09 AM UTC
Votes: 150
Category:  Core library Priority:  5 - Normal
Severity:  4 - Important Status:  None
Privacy:  Public Assigned to:  None
Open/Closed:  Closed Operating System:  GNU/Linux
* Mandatory Fields

Add a New Comment Rich Markup

Jump to the original submission

Wed 31 Jul 2013 07:11:38 PM UTC, comment #6: 

gnutls-3.2.3 fixes all issues for me. thanks. whatever that was :>

Afri Qhdoe <qdoe>
Thu 25 Jul 2013 08:04:47 AM UTC, comment #5: 

Oh. Sorry!

Peter Weber <hoschi>
Wed 24 Jul 2013 03:07:31 PM UTC, comment #4: 

On 2013-07-24 Peter Weber <> wrote:

> The testsuite has some glitches:

The gnutls testsuite works in non-parallel mode (i.e. make check withouut -jN with N>1).

I was asking about the glib-networking testsuite, not the gnutls one., though. ;-)

cu Andreas

Andreas Metzler <ametzler>
Wed 24 Jul 2013 02:27:48 PM UTC, comment #3: 
Peter Weber <hoschi>
Wed 24 Jul 2013 11:20:39 AM UTC, comment #2: 

Out of interest I have tried re-building Debian's (and Ubuntu's) glib-networking packages against gnutls 3.x. - While the build succeeded the testsuite failed for me. Are you running the testsuite in Archlinux, does it report any errors?

cu Andreas

Andreas Metzler <ametzler>
Wed 24 Jul 2013 09:06:50 AM UTC, comment #1: 

This bug was reported multiple times on the mailing list:

I'm afraid we confused Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos a little bit.

Peter Weber <hoschi>
Wed 24 Jul 2013 07:56:09 AM UTC, original submission:  

An upgrade of gnutls to 3.2.2 breaks pretty much everything that uses TLS. I'm using archlinux. I discovered this issue using weechat, telling me:

> irc: reading data on socket: error -24 Decryption has failed.

The guys at #weechat told me there are more people complaining and it's a gnutls issue. see

downgrading gnutls "fixes" this. could you please look into it?

Related broken projects:
- epiphany
- webkit

> Error reading data from TLS socket: Decryption has failed.

This bug was poorly reported on the mailing list some days ago (it looked like a connection error). Yet, I'm trying to do better but I'm sorry I don't know how to provide a better back trace or something. Maybe you can guide me? I tried to attach gnutls-cli or weechat to gdb but without success of extracting the error message.

Afri Qhdoe <qdoe>


(Note: upload size limit is set to 16384 kB, after insertion of the required escape characters.)

Attach Files:

No files currently attached


Depends on the following items: None found

Items that depend on this one: None found


Carbon-Copy List
  • -email is unavailable- added by nmav (Updated the item)
  • -email is unavailable- added by _92003 (Voted in favor of this item)
  • -email is unavailable- added by hoschi (Voted in favor of this item)
  • -email is unavailable- added by hoschi (Posted a comment)
  • -email is unavailable- added by qdoe (Submitted the item)

    There are 150 votes so far. Votes easily highlight which items people would like to see resolved in priority, independently of the priority of the item set by tracker managers.

    Only logged-in users can vote.


    Follow 3 latest changes.

    Date Changed by Updated Field Previous Value => Replaced by
    2014-02-06 nmav Open/ClosedOpen Closed
    2013-07-25 _92003 Carbon-Copy- Added floft
    2013-07-24 hoschi Carbon-Copy- Added hoschi

    Back to the top

    Powered by Savane 3.13-4448.
    Corresponding source code