newswdiff - News: wdiff 0.6.0 released

Latest News
wdiff 1.2.2 released posted by gagern, Mon 14 Apr 2014 08:31:50 PM UTC
wdiff 1.2.1 released posted by gagern, Sat 09 Mar 2013 02:19:31 AM UTC
wdiff 1.1.2 released posted by gagern, Wed 30 May 2012 08:53:28 PM UTC
wdiff 1.1.1 released posted by gagern, Tue 22 May 2012 08:48:24 PM UTC
wdiff 1.1.0 released posted by gagern, Tue 15 Nov 2011 05:47:33 PM UTC

wdiff 0.6.0 released

Item posted by Martin von Gagern <gagern> on Mon 29 Mar 2010 12:06:11 PM UTC.

Today I have the pleasure of announcing the release of GNU wdiff 0.6.0.

Up until now, the latest official release of GNU wdiff was version 0.5, dating from 1994. There have been a number of inofficial releases on alpha.gnu.org, but they probably didn't receive as much attention as an official release will hopefully receive. The new release is available at http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/wdiff/ and should reach the GNU mirrors soon.

The current release still lacks translations for many languages. For most languages, most of the translations are in fact there, but have been subject to automatic adjustments and therefore been makred fuzzy. We are waiting for the translation project teams to process them. I expect to do a number of minor releases when more translations come in.

A thing to note about this wdiff release is its approach to experimental applications. The original author, François Pinard, included in the wdiff package not only the wdiff tool itself, but also a number of other applications. Most notable among these is mdiff, which aims at the identification of common clusters among several files. Neither me nor my co-maintainer currently have a good understanding of this code, its workings, and in particular the problems it might cause. We therefore marked these applications as experimental. They will only be installed if the --enable-experimental switch is passed to configure. The generated texinfo documentation is subject to that switch as well, in order to avoid confusion. The online documentation on the other hand was built with that experimental switch in place, in order to include as much documentation as possible.

Of course we welcome any feedback for this software package, and would like to know of any bug you might encounter.

Back to the top