newsSavannah Administration - News: Removing inactive user accounts

Latest News
frontend upgraded posted by ineiev, Wed 31 Jan 2024 05:45:55 PM UTC
[download] SFTP disabled posted by ineiev, Mon 27 Nov 2023 11:00:33 AM UTC
git post-receive UDP syndication posted by carlc, Thu 31 Aug 2023 11:57:10 PM UTC
re-enabling reminders posted by ineiev, Tue 02 May 2023 11:40:13 AM UTC
frontend upgraded posted by ineiev, Fri 13 May 2022 06:43:50 AM UTC

Removing old user accounts with no past activity

Item posted by Sylvain Beucler <Beuc> on Thu 30 Jul 2009 01:06:03 PM UTC.

We're currently working on a new web front-end that will be easier to improve and maintain.

When working on data migration we saw that more than 1/2 user accounts are inactive, that is, they registered more than one year ago, they didn't submit or comment on a tracker or news item, they are not part of any group, not did they submit a request for contributor.

We're not talking about spammer accounts (who usually at least send spam on the trackers or news, and got desactivated) - just people who registered, but only have a basic profile.

We're considering doing some clean-up here and mass-remove these accounts. What are your thoughts?

And done! (posted by Sylvain Beucler, Thu 06 Aug 2009 08:28:56 PM UTC)

Change applied today, restricted to users that didn't log since the 2003 compromise (i.e. didn't reset their disabled password since then).

bug in sending response to discussion (posted by Aurélien DESBRIÈRES, Sat 01 Aug 2009 07:52:27 PM UTC)

Notice: Undefined variable: result in /usr/src/savane/frontend/php/include/news/forum.php on line 524

Warning: mysql_result(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /usr/src/savane/frontend/php/include/database.php on line 313

Removing old user accounts with no past activ (posted by Aubrey Jaffer, Sat 01 Aug 2009 01:41:45 AM UTC)

CVS access should also serve to keep an account open.

I would suggest logging access (posted by John Doe, Fri 31 Jul 2009 05:30:56 AM UTC)

Hi,

I am guessing some people create an account to browse around.

If a bug is already reported, they may not feel they can add contribute anything useful to the trackers, or they just check to see if it is fixed.

This doesn't nessesarily mean they will never use the account.

I rarely use my account, which may or may not change at any point.  Actually, I am not sure I even log in every year, I am active in periodes where time allows me to work on the projects I take part in.

If the accounts in question, are accounts that were created and then forgotten, which unfortunately seems to be common, I think it would be good to have them taped soon.

I agree with those that suggest you send each account an email to verify if the account is really dead.

Give the accounts a lot of time to answer, possibly a couple of years, since they could be abroad or something. I think a month or two would be minimum, just to account for vacations. (Not every country has as little vacation as people in the US).

Well, thats my take on it, hope my answer can help you.

/Nospam .

Back to the top